Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Twenty-three of Thirty: A tribute to a brave friend

When I answered the phone yesterday I had no idea how much my friend Fran's call would rock my world. In the last several months she has battled lung cancer, and survived; a seizure that nearly took her life, and survived; brain cancer, and survived. Fran is a fighter and she's proven it time and again throughout her life. She flaunts her chemo-induced baldness like the badge of honour it is - no wigs for her.

Despite a litany of hardships, Fran raised two sons who've gone on to raise families of their own. She's made friends and given back to each of them, including me, ten fold. She says what she means, and means what she says - a rare trait these days.

So, when she called yesterday to say that her latest CAT scan results weren't good, it was a shock. She said it very matter-of-factly. Where they thought there were three brain tumors which might be operable, there are six - and they are not operable. She's been given a time-line that is finite and short.

She has lived her life so far on her own terms, and she plans on living what's left the same way. She said her "affairs are in order" and she's spending her remaining time living every day to the fullest.

If it were me, I don't know if I'd be that courageous. I heard no bitterness in her voice; just resignation and acceptance. She wanted no pity - just the comfort of talking to a friend who'd care about what is happening.

When the inevitable happens, she doesn't want a mournful funeral. She wants a party - a celebration of her life, her family, her friends and her art. And so she shall have it. No tears - except those shed softly at the loss of a special person and in the joy of having known her.

In the meantime - here's to ya, Fran! Let's soldier on and have a good time while we can. I'm here for you whenever and however you need me to be. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.