Friday, November 5, 2010

Five of Thirty: Thank you, Mother Nature

Taking a REAL day off is very difficult, especially if you are self-employed. When you don't work, you don't get paid. Period. No sick days. No paid vacation. Or so it seems.

But, if you do your planning right and define your 'desired' or 'sufficient' income, you should be able to take a sick day or some vacation time without jeopardizing the family home or the kids groceries.

Today, Mother Nature stepped in and is in the process of dumping a ridiculous amount of rain on our area accompanied by very high winds and unseasonably warm temperatures (the good part of this scenario). Even the dog doesn't really want to go out except for the necessities.

Prior to the arrival of the storm I, like many others who suffer atmospheric pressure induced headaches, was feeling ghastly. Now, the pressure remains, but the pain is gone. Since it is so utterly miserable outside, I designated today as an official "day off". No work will be done unless it pleases me to do so in a recreational frame of mind.

Instead, I've cranked up the fireplace, made a pot of tea, baked some lemon bread to go with it, and, when I'm done here, I'm going to curl up and read a good book. There'll be lots of time for work tomorrow, Sunday and Monday - and then, I may repeat this day off thing and take Tuesday off - just for me.

Thank you, Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.