Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Learning to slow it down

Spending all day in the company of a three-year-old and a two-year-old quickly forces you to change your perspective on things you take for granted - time, distance and urgency. At their age (and height) everything has the potential to be interesting with water fountains holding a particular fascination for small hands and minds.

When you walk, non, when you amble down the street with them, time stands still as flowers, windows, bugs and birds must all be investigated. Linnea spends most of her time with the kids and is totally tuned in the nuances of their behavior, knowing almost to the second when something will interest, distract or disturb them. The rest of us take wild guesses when things are going to change and a laughing, happy moment will become an emotional meltdown. Still, after a couple of days I'm beginning to clue in myself.

It's threatening to rain today so we'll see what that brings as far as outing, moods and activities means. Raindrops are no deterrent to an outing - just pull on the rubbers and a rain coat and head out - it is Vancouver after all.

Tonight will be my first ever time alone with the grand toddlers. I'm FINALLY being trusted with their care for a few hours while their parents go out to a concert. Perhaps they finally believe that I won't drown the kids in the bath, can manage to scrape the detritus from their teeth, get them into nighttime diapers and pajamas, read them a couple of stories and tuck them into bed successfully - or maybe not. Somehow, since my son survived my parenting skills to grow up reasonably unscarred, I suspect the grand toddlers will make it through a few short hours of my supervision. I guess we'll see ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.