Wednesday, May 11, 2011

To borrow a phrase from the A&E channel, it's "time well spent".

I just read an article entitled "How to Set Smart Daily Goals" by Jocelyn K. Glei. It was recommended by Elaine Shannon, the self-styled 'Empress of Inspiration'. 


In it, the author offers a series of questions that, if you contemplate and answer them truthfully, will help you to focus your daily efforts in a more productive way. One that truly struck me was the need to set aside a specific period of time, up to 90 minutes a day, to focus on one important thing. 


The concept is to control your attention and avoid distractions. It's so hard. The phone rings. An email arrives. The dog barks. And poof- that focus is gone.


As a creative professional, focus is critically important to my success and the success of the projects I undertake. Whether I am writing or in a photo shoot - for myself or for a client - paying attention, particularly to the details, and getting into the 'creative zone' is the first thing I need to do.

Everyone has their own way of achieving that concentration. If I am trying to write something, I have to turn off my email, unplug the phone, turn off my cell phone, put the dog outside for a while, and turn on some baroque music. The steady rhythms that define that genre of music help me to concentrate and free my mind for greater creativity.

When I'm at a photo shoot for a client, I can't really 'zone out' because I need to interact with my subject(s). Instead, I will focus on some aspect of the intended photo. Perhaps a baby's facial expression...
or, the look of absolute adoration on the faces of a happy grammie and mother.

With horses, I'll sometimes allow myself to absorb the rhythm of their hooves hitting the ground as they trot by....

or even just the shape of the horse's body in motion.
Regardless of the techniques used, the author's message to 'focus' for an extended period of time on a daily basis in order to retain and further develop creativity resonated with me.

Try it sometime - you might surprise yourself.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.