Monday, May 16, 2011

Rain, rain, go away - don't rush back another day!

There is definitely something wrong with having the furnace blasting on the 16th of May. It has done nothing but rain for 3+ weeks and at least another 2 weeks are forecast with one "partially cloudy" day set for Thursday (oh joy).


This is a definite deterrent to exercise.

Fortunately (or not) I have a dog who insists on needing fairly lengthy walks at least once a day, preferably two or three. This forces me to don my ducky boots, slicker, gloves and rain coat and venture forth. It is nice, though, when we get home to open the door to warmth and comfort.

Hopefully this won't last too much longer.

I was part of the hosting committee last week-end for a writers' conference. As a member of the Writers Federation of NB I ended up playing multiple roles: official photographer for both WFNB AND the local organizing committee; conference attendee; etc. When the week-end came to its successful conclusion I realized that I will have to learn to control my exuberance for volunteering the next time. At 61, I'm TIRED. Duh.


Lee Thompson, Exec. Director and Rayanne Brennan, President of the Writers Federation of NB at the Annual Meeting portion of the week-end

Allan Lynch, internationally published and well known writer from NS led a session about 'making a living' (vs. eking out an existence) as a writer. His suggestions were equally applicable to any of the creative professions - photographer, artist, sculptor, etc.

Beth Powning, internationally published author of many books, most recently The Sea Captain's Wife. That novel enthralled me from beginning to end.

The downside is that we live in a small community with limited conference venues. Our group was competing with the Atlantic Premiers' Conference for meeting and dining space.

The upside is that we ended up with (wonderful) home-made buffet-style meals.


And a local group of school children entertained at lunch with a musical and comical tribute to our region's history. Well done!

I tried to control my urges, especially during the evening awards event accompanied by a dessert buffet (all home made, including my contribution - a carrot cake with cream cheese icing), by keeping the camera firmly in my hands. I use a heavy, professional camera, so it's a two-handed affair, keeping me well away from the dessert tables. Whew. I actually did well and did NOT indulge.




Winners of the writing competition from across the entire province of NB.

Half of the Sussex Choral Society entertaining during the awards event

And, the other half.

Intellectual stimulation really helps distract one from food. Honestly. Sob.


I'm sure that everyone left the conference inspired to return to their writing endeavours and to look forward to the next WFNB event.

Here's to a good week for everyone. Have to go and see what my neighbour is building; an ark perchance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.