Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Some people have spoken

I am not a political commentator, nor am I a satirist. In fact, I'm no longer particularly a political junkie.

But, that said, I'm glad that people turned out to vote. I think it is interesting to see how it all turned out. It's a pity that 40% of the voters selected a government for 100% of the people, with the votes of the remaining 60% split among the various alternatives. But, c'est la vie. That's democracy in action and I can accept that.

What I have difficulty accepting is the lackluster campaigning that happened here in our riding. It seemed like the incumbent felt he needed to do nothing to retain his seat (and apparently he was right), while those put forward by the other parties to challenge him were naught but sacrificial lambs on the altar of political expediency.

I truly feel sorry for them. It seemed like there was no money to spend on anything but a FEW signs here and there, no meaningful advertising and publicity, and limited personal effort to get out there and meet potential voters. At our home not a single piece of informative literature from ANY of the parties was received. Nor did any candidates or their representatives make the effort to visit our community or knock on any doors. It seemed like no one wanted OUR vote.

Nevertheless, we did vote and that act alone gives me the right to express my opinion as I see it.

The candidates proffered by all of the parties in our riding (other than the incumbent) were virtually unknown entities, and now that the election is over and the campaign period at an end, I know little more now than I did 6 weeks ago about any of them. Was it the same in other ridings in our province and across the nation? If so, it is no wonder that Mr. Harper was able to retain the seats he had and acquire enough others to attain majority status.

I had a strong and visceral reaction to the negative, mud-slinging, advertising that first the Conservatives and later the Liberals indulged in. I felt like I was watching 3-year-olds in a sandbox, lacking adult supervision, trying to bully each other into submission and terrify bystanders.

Perhaps lessons have been learned by all concerned that will be utilized in the next election - a full 4+ years away now that the current government finally garnered a majority position.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.