Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thank you...

Here we are, almost at the end of May, and we are FINALLY experiencing a titch of warm weather. Sadly, the warmth comes at the expense of any potential sunshine and, much to everyone's surprise (not), more rain is in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Oh well, c'est la vie.

As one of my friends on Facebook pointed out, our lousy weather is primarily an inconvenience. For those in the US states hard hit by tornadoes, the weather is a life-altering event with devastating consequences.

With that in mind, I stumbled across this website for The Grateful Project What was a personal quest for one woman has become a documentary film project. The concept is that we should each take time on a daily basis to seek out, and be grateful for, those mundane things that bring us a moment of happiness on a daily basis. By focusing on those positive moments, we can and will change our lives, and those of others, for the better. This same concept was espoused by Oprah Winfrey during her Finale episode yesterday.

This is a concept I can both believe in and get behind. Since first reading about it a couple of days ago I began paying attention to those things that bring me joy - in small measures or large - for a brief time, or a long one. Here are a few examples from the literally hundreds I thought of in only one day... 

Two healthy grandchildren and my son (show age 3 below) who has grown up to be a loving and caring man, husband and father...




   
                                
                   
           
                                                          
         




    





For a wonderfully supportive husband
For Hoover who teaches me to relax, daily.
And so very much more. I may take this on as my personal project as well - to photograph and document those things that often go unnoticed and yet bring us small measures of joy on a regular basis.

So, what are YOU grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.