Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Health care costs

There was an article in the newspaper today about the rising costs of health care and it caused me to consider some of the things I've seen people do that no doubt contribute to abuse of the system.

For the last week I've endured a miserable cold. You know the type - headache, sore eyes, sore throat, slight fever (max. 101F), a few aches and pains, plugged sinuses, runny nose. In other words - general misery. For once I exercised personal restraint and gave in to it.

I stayed home, venturing out only of necessity to let the dog out, drank plenty of fluids, stayed warm, slept a lot and rested between naps. Basic aspirin or ibuprofen for the headache and fever. Vicks Vaporub on the chest for congestion. Lots, and LOTS, of tissues. Frequent and thorough hand washing.

Low and behold, I lived and have recovered. Today there's no fever and only a residual runny nose. Hmm.

And my point (besides hoping for sympathy from friends)? I did NOT go to out patients at the local hospital. I did NOT call or visit my doctor. I simply exercised old fashioned common sense and let the cold run its normal 5-8 day course. Had there been a drastic change in my symptoms I might have sought medical help, but as long as things remained a simple cold - I dealt with it at NO COST to the health care system.

How many people would have spent countless hours parked in a hospital or doctor's waiting room for the same thing - and only to be told to go home, take aspirin/ibuprofen, drink plenty of fluids, stay warm and rest? Huh?

The older I get the less patience I have in general and I don't suffer fools well at all. If you're seriously ill of course seek out medical help. But a cold? Get real.

Now, I'm feeling fine. Thanks for asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.