Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gardening - me? Help from a friend!

An investment in beauty
My copy of Jodi DeLong's new book, "Plants for Atlantic Gardens" arrived the other day and, since then, I've spent every spare moment perusing its colourful and informative pages.

You have to understand - I am not a gardener.

At least, I never was. I failed to comprehend the obsession that others expressed about soil, plant types, fertilizers, pollination, drainage and so on.

My claim to fame has been total ignorance of all things horticultural.

Over the years I've been fortunate to have lived in homes that came equipped with gardens created by other, more knowledgeable, souls. My only challenge has been to not ruin what had already been lovingly created by someone else.

Until now.

My patient, but equally horticulturally-challenged, hubby and I moved to a new home last year set on a small, and sadly barren, lot on the outskirts of Sussex, NB. Not having a clue about where to begin, nor the financial resources to hire someone else to do it for me, I reached out to a friend who would know where I should start. Jodi knows all about these things and generously shares that knowledge through the articles she writes and now in her latest book crafted specifically for people attempting to create beauty in the harsh Atlantic Canadian environment.

Her vivid descriptions of the physical properties and individual personalities of over one hundred "handsome and hard-working shrubs, trees and perennials", together with the beautiful photographs that accompany each, have given me hope that even I can create an oasis of colour and interest that can be enjoyed year 'round.

As I write this commentary, we have just come through weeks of winter storms, arctic-like temperatures, snowfalls that would be the envy of the Alps and now freezing rain and slush. Spring seems eons away, although it's really only a few weeks - at least technically. I will keep reading and learning.

I will be ready, when the earth welcomes us, to choose, plant and nurture species that, until I read Jodi's book, I'd never heard of or knew pathetically little about. Encouraged by her down-to-earth voice in the book, I'm building the confidence to at least TRY. Even Jodi, consummate gardener and author, has had failures to which she freely admits. So, there is hope for a neophyte like me.

I can learn, with Jodi's book at hand to guide me, what are the best potential locations for various species; the soil amendments that may be needed; whether the prevailing wind direction is a good thing or not; and most importantly - not to become discouraged if some of my chosen plants fail to meet my expectations. As she says, "plants can't read" and sometimes just don't live up to their billings.

Soon I will be shopping for plants I now know are truly suitable for Atlantic gardens. Thanks, Jodi, for opening a new vista for me and showing me how to take those first steps.

"Plants for Atlantic Gardens" was written by Jodi DeLong and published by Nimbus Publishing.

1 comment:

  1. I missed sending you a proper comment on this, somehow! Don't ask me how, Ceci, sometimes I am lost in space. I am so glad you find the book useful and encouraging--you're the sort of person I had in mind, a gardener in training, when I wrote the book. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful piece. xx

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for the inconvenience of having to type word verification in order to submit your comments, but due to the potential for spam and aggravation, it is necessary. Thanks so much.